Thursday, September 19, 2013

letter 80


Bishop Mark Webb
Upper New York Annual Conference
324 University Avenue, 3rd floor
Syracuse, NY 13210

Rev. Mark Webb

I have had the privilege of collecting and posting the digital copies of many of the letters that have come to your office.  It has been a humbling experience to read the heartfelt pleas for you, Rev Heiss, and our denomination. 

You have read theological statements made better than I could make them, as well as arguments for how the discipline contradicts itself, plenty of ways that folks would like for us to find your way out of this.  I have had a hard time in writing this letter and feeling like I am not restating something that you have already read. 

But this is my note to you:

God has created and placed on this earth some amazing people that are gay or lesbian or transgender or bi-sexual or queer. 

These are my friends and family. 

Shawn, John, Asha, Alex, Miller, Lauren, Sara, Lisa, Diane, Scott, Andy, Lannette, Vicki, and many more. 

I love them, as they are, as God made them, perfectly imperfect as you and I are.

I will stand with them, I will stand for love.  I will not stand for a denomination that would say to my family and friends that they are “incompatible with Christian teaching”.

I wish you grace and peace

Eric Yetter
Member at Tabernacle United Methodist Church

No comments:

Post a Comment