Thursday, September 19, 2013

letter 65


September 17, 2013

Bishop Mark Webb
Upper New York Annual Conference
324 University Ave., Third Floor
Syracuse, NY 13210

Dear Bishop Webb,

I am writing to you to let you know that I support Rev. Steve Heiss and any other United Methodist Pastor who feels that they should be allowed to perform same sex marriages.  I feel that you should support them, as well.  I am the 5th generation to be a Methodist in my family.

I am a heterosexual female who was married 3 years ago by 2 Methodist Pastors.  My husband and I decided that both pastors should perform our marriage because they were a large part of our lives.  My husband is a member of First United Methodist in Schenectady, NY.  I am a member at Mechanicville United Methodist in Mechanicville, NY.  I now regularly attend FUMC Schenectady because it is closer to home and I agree with their social standings. 

God is a large part of our marriage.  Shouldn’t same sex marriages have God in them as well?  We all need God to be there for us in times of trouble and to praise Him in times of joy.  We all need the sense of community that a church like FUMC Schenectady offers.  Shouldn’t same sex couples be allowed this as well? 

Jesus taught us to love one another.  How is denying same sex couples marriage a loving thing to do?  A stance like that can only breed hatred.  Aren’t we supposed to be welcoming to all, not just to the ones that we want to or feel comfortable to? 

We wonder why attendance in churches is declining, could it be because we are blatantly turning people away?  We are expressing to them you are not like us, therefore you don’t belong here.  This is not what “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors” means to me.  It is time to move forward and let Rev. Steve Heiss and the other United Methodist Pastors of Upper New York Conference perform same sex marriages.

-Alice Nash
Schenectady, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment